Raise your hand if you’ve been collecting Project Life cards like they’re going out of style! MEEEEEE!!! ME ME ME!!!

I just jumped on the Project Life bandwagon this year. And the Sn@p! card bandwagon. And the MAMBI card bandwagon. And the free printables bandwagon.

Wow. That’s a lotta’ bandwagons! Must be why I have so many dang cards.

Here are the Project Life kits I have (so far, wink):

Blush
Honey {See why it’s my favorite Project Life kit HERE!}
Jade
Midnight
Slate
Wedding
Baby
Wellington
5th and Frolic

What I’ve been doing is buying partial kits, trading cards, and selling cards. I think the only kit I still have all the cards for is Baby and that’s because I’m going to use it for multiple baby books. Oh, and I have all of Wellington and Wedding but those are mini kits.

The large and small boxes that Project Life come in are very nice but they’re not a very efficient use of space, especially when you only own 1/4 or 1/3 of the larger kits. So I decided to throw away all the PL boxes and come up with a new storage system.

Requirements:

1. Easily accessible
Opening one lid is fine but I don’t wanna’ be opening cases inside of cases and I need to be able to flip through the cards.

2. Something I can label
I need to SEE the names not just SEE the cards. I’m weird like that.

3. Something I can keep on my desk
Another thing I didn’t like about keeping the cards in the original PL box was that they were too big to keep on my desk, so I had to go over to the bookshelf to get them every time I worked on my Project Life or a PL-type album.

One idea I’d thought about replicating was from LAYLE KONCAR at SIMPLE STORIES. She used one of those old cassette holders (in case you are disgustingly young, cassettes were music-playing things before iPods came along). She tilted it up and it’s genius how you can see all your cards so well with this system.

Alas, it didn’t meet requirements 2. and 3. above :(

I got this wild hair late Friday night so no time to go shopping for a storage system. I perused my stash and decided to use some plastic shoe boxes I got from Target awhile back. They were holding handmade cards I’ve received over the years and various mini albums, mostly made at CKU and such. So those things were dumped out and I need to find a new home for them now. Which is a pain.

But totally worth it because look how great my new Project Life card storage came out! All my PL cards are in there except Wellington which is on my desk as I’m currently working with it.

IMG_2496

IMG_2497

As you can see, the box on the left is for Project Life cards and on the right is for Sn@p!, MAMBI, free printables, and misc. cards like those calendar cards from ELLE’S STUDIO. I used lined Project Life 4×6 blank cards to create the dividers, along with washi tapes and my Brother label maker. No, I’m not super creative but it got the job done.

I’m so happy that all my Project Life, Sn@p!, MAMBI (can you say “Addicted!”???), and free printable cards are all in one place! Well, two places but you know what I mean. They sit to the right of my chair at my L-shaped desk. A divided tray with all my other Project Life-y type stuff sits to the left – washi, 6×6 pads, WRMK small pads, corner rounder, arrow punch, date stamps, ink, stickers, etc.

IMG_2498

It gets very dusty in my scraproom so I love that this is covered storage. When I’m actively using them, I can slip the shoebox lids right underneath the boxes so they don’t take up extra room or flop backward covering other things like the PL boxes do. And when I’m not using them, they seal on the boxes tightly and keep the dust out.

IMG_2499

Plus I {heart} hearts SO much! They just make me happy and I’m glad they’re now sitting so close to me at my desk instead of way across the room on that ol’ bookshelf like before. Now we can get to know each other better, maybe go out for a drink, play Scrabble, you know, that kind of thing.

So there’s my latest version of scrapbook storage for all those Project Life-type cards. What do you think? How are yours stored? I would love to hear!

40 Comments on Project Life: My New Storage System for PL, Snap, MAMBI, and Other Scrapbooking Cards

1. Emily Adams
    August 18, 2013 at 10:17 pm (1 year ago)

Great method! I like being able to see the cards too!

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:37 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Emily!

2. Mary Ann Jenkins
    August 18, 2013 at 10:45 pm (1 year ago)

Great idea! I had been looking for an old cassette tape holder too, but now you have me second guessing that idea. I might have to think about using something different.

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:39 pm (1 year ago)

Ooooh, that cassette tape holder idea is pretty cool though! I just couldn’t get past the dust. We live on property and half the year we have windows open. I don’t want all my pretty little cards getting dusty. But I {love} the way that cassette holder looks! It was hard to pass up. Let me know when yours is done – would love to see!

3. lil gik
    August 19, 2013 at 3:33 am (1 year ago)

Your new system looks great, I also tossed the boxes this weekend and did something similar!

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:41 pm (1 year ago)

What did you use to put them in? I would love to see a pic! PS: Those rolls on your blog have me so hungry!

4. Dictionary
    August 19, 2013 at 7:20 am (1 year ago)

Very cool, I have an old cassette holder but I use it for my stamps of course I don’t own as many PL cards as you do but its good to know I could convert it if I needed to.
    Dictionary recently posted…Halloween Card – Mummy BrideMy Profile

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm (1 year ago)

It’s a slippery slope, Dictionary … a slippery slope indeed ….

5. Chris Connolly
    August 19, 2013 at 8:08 am (1 year ago)

What a great idea. I’ve accumulated a few partial kits now and I’ve been trying to figure out how I am going to store the cards (I dislike the PL boxes). Thanks for sharing your great idea!

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:43 pm (1 year ago)

You’re so welcome, Chris! Thank you so much for leaving a comment. Let us know what you end up doing with your PL card storage.

6. MargieH
    August 19, 2013 at 8:26 am (1 year ago)

Really cool idea and it looks pretty too! LOL! Haven’t gotten into this “movement” yet but looks tempting!

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:44 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Margie! Be careful if you start. Those cute little cards are mighty addicting :)

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Seniorita! I love how you used “I {Heart} Summer” with your project life pages. Great job!

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:48 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Fleur!

7. Abby
    August 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm (1 year ago)

Love your storage system! I have mine in something similar but need to categorize them. The cassette holder is a neat idea, too. Love that yours has a lid bc I’m sure mine will get dusty in between scrap times.

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:50 pm (1 year ago)

Hey girl – Thank you :) Are you going to keep them as sets or divide them by color or topic? I was tempted but ended up keeping them by set.

8. Mariclaudi
    August 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm (1 year ago)

Cool! I don’t own too many cards and am storing them in a desktop organizer I found at Michael’s.

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm (1 year ago)

Great idea. I bet they’re handy that way and Michael’s has some really cute organizers!

9. GLOANN
    August 20, 2013 at 4:04 pm (1 year ago)

Wow, Erika! You do have a few of those. I’ve just sort of gotten into it in a very small way and already I’m searching for a way to organize. They’re virtually useless to me just sitting there in ziplocks and all in a pile. I don’t even know what I have. So I’m going to see if I can organize the few that I have. That may make me want to invest in more though. You know. . . give a moose a cookie

• Scrapbook Obsession
      August 20, 2013 at 10:53 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Gloria! Yes, I have, um, just a few ;) I didn’t realize how many cards I had until I organized them! What’s sad is that I’ve collected all the PL and SS sets that I like. But now they’re both coming out with MORE! What’s a girl to do? Well …. start scrappin’, I guess!

• Scrapbook Obsession
      November 13, 2013 at 10:48 pm (11 months ago)

Thanks Carolyn! Glad you like it.

10. tiffany
    September 5, 2013 at 9:41 pm (1 year ago)

Great storage idea! Thanks for sharing the pics.

• Scrapbook Obsession
      November 13, 2013 at 10:48 pm (11 months ago)

You’re welcome, Tiffany. Thanks for stopping by!

11. Benjaman
    September 9, 2013 at 10:06 am (1 year ago)

Awesome suggestion. Love your writing style — like having a conversation with a good friend!

12. Tasha
    September 12, 2013 at 5:12 pm (1 year ago)

Fantastic Storage!

“in case you are disgustingly young, cassettes were music-playing things before iPods came along” HAHAHAHA!!!
    Tasha recently posted…View from the TopMy Profile

• Scrappymo
      September 30, 2013 at 11:37 pm (1 year ago)

Great idea///love that it does not cost a fortune!
      Just getting into PL…starting to collect stuff to start in 2014.

Where do you buy all your partial collections?
      Scrappymo recently posted…Holly Jolly ChristmasMy Profile

• Scrapbook Obsession
        October 1, 2013 at 8:16 am (1 year ago)

Hello Scrappymo! I buy partial collections from other members of the message boards I’m on (e.g., HERE is a link to the Two Peas For Sale or Trade board). I’ve also bought partial kits from the online store COME ON GET CRAFTY. She sells partial kits for $7.50. Hope you find what you’re looking for!

• Scrapbook Obsession
      November 13, 2013 at 10:49 pm (11 months ago)

Made you laugh! :D

13. Terri Paulson-Sasaki
    October 10, 2013 at 6:13 am (12 months ago)

I am just starting to do Project Life and I am already out of control. Thanks for the inspiration, I’m off to Target.

Terri

• Scrapbook Obsession
      November 13, 2013 at 10:50 pm (11 months ago)

My ‘habit’ has only gotten worse since I posted this. I’m on shoe box #3. Blerg.

14. Angie M.
    November 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm (11 months ago)

I have all of the core kits available since day one, except Cherry. I have split with a friend. I also have about 12 of the mini kits and 10 or so of the now smaller kits. Totally addicted. I also have many kits from other manufacturers. I have been trying to find something different to make it easier than that huge stack of boxes and semi portable since I scrapbook when we camp. Hubby fishes and I stay in the RV and scrap. I am trying to figure out how you did your dividers cards. The post says they are 4×6 PL lined cards, but wouldn’t make them only as tall as the larger cards and your dividers stick up higher. ??? TIA

• Scrapbook Obsession
      November 13, 2013 at 10:52 pm (11 months ago)

Hi Angie :) Your version of camping sounds awesome! The way I did the divider cards was I turned them vertically and then had to cut off about 1 1/2 inches to make them the right height. Hope that helps!

• Angie
        November 14, 2013 at 11:44 am (11 months ago)

Thanks for the explanation!

15. Rosemary
    March 22, 2014 at 4:44 pm (6 months ago)

I spent $2.00 and got 2 boxes at the Dollar Tree and have filled them. Your storage idea is great and economical. Thanks for posting the idea.

16. MelissaL88
    May 30, 2014 at 7:10 am (4 months ago)

Thanks for the great storage idea!

17. Anna
    February 6, 2014 at 10:41 am (8 months ago)

I have looked at this post about 100 times in the last week trying to figure out if the boxes I bought will work. I bought Recollections Medium storage boxes at Michaels. I cut down a 4×6 card to the dimensions you mentioned, but I don’t know if the lid will close…I need to label the dividers so I know what each section is, but don’t know if it will work.

What kind of boxes did you get and how do the lids close with the divider cards?

I think I’m making this harder than it is….. :(

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Project Life: My New Storage System for PL, Snap, MAMBI, and Other Scrapbooking Cards

1. […] truly was going to try resisting this kit because of, well, THIS. {The first step to overcoming addiction is to admit you have a problem}. But after seeing […]